Buffalo Wild Wings chemical mixture leaves 1 dead, 10 hospitalized

Evarado Alatorre
Noviembre 8, 2019

As of 10 p.m. Thursday, nine people - two patrons, the rest employees - had gone to Lahey Hospital, and a 10th went to a hospital in the Lowell area, according to the release.

Another customer said there was no communication between the employees and the customers about the incident. Patterson said he does not believe any of them are in serious condition.

"The gentleman that passed away was an employee of Buffalo Wild Wings, who attempted to squeegee the product out of the building when he was overcome", Assistant Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters.

Patterson said the worker was cleaning the floor with a product called Super 8, which contains sodium hypochlorite - a highly concentrated form of chlorine. Patterson says more people could have gone to the hospital because fire officials advised anyone who was at the restaurant at the time to seek medical attention.

A state hazardous materials team responded around 9:30 p.m.as authorities worked to identify the chemical threat.

More news: Met Gala 2020 theme and new co-chairs announced

"This is a product that we've been told is a common product used in floor cleaning", Patterson said. "For some reason tonight it was just.a reaction that led to this", he said. In a statement Wednesday, the company also said "leadership does not condone in any way what happened" at the restaurant. "Is everything OK? Should we even be breathing this air", he said.

Officials do not know if the product reacted with something else. Police and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, Patterson said.

The Naperville Police Department began an investigation after the restaurant received several threatening phone calls following that incident. The building was then turned over to restaurant management, which will be responsible for handling further cleaning, according to Patterson.

A statement released Thursday by a Buffalo Wild Wings spokesperson said, "We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation".

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO