Protesters demand justice for killed persons

Evarado Alatorre
Julio 14, 2019

Sudanese protesters march during a demonstration to commemorate the 40 days anniversary of the sit-in massacre in Khartoum North, Sudan July 12, 2019.

Opposition medics say more than 100 people were killed when the military's feared Rapid Support Forces violently cleared the protest sit-in. The transition agreement sets up a joint Sovereign Council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized.

Bashir was ousted by the army on April 11 after thousands of protesters camped outside the military headquarters in central Khartoum from April 6.

Chanting "Blood for blood, we won't accept compensations", crowds of protesters marched through the main streets of the Red Sea coastal city of Port Sudan, and other cities including Madani, al-Obeid and Kassala, witnesses said.

Protesters continued their sit-in, demanding that the generals themselves step down, ahead of the brutal dispersal on June 3. Authorities, however, put the death toll at 61, including three security force members.

"This is an attempt to block the agreement which has been reached by the Transitional Military Council and the Alliance for Freedom and Change that aims to open the road for Sudanese people to achieve their demands", Omar said.

The protest organisers hoped that large numbers would take part in the marches, similar to massive demonstrations on June 30, when tens of thousands of demonstrators flooded the streets in the biggest show of numbers in the uprising.

More news: Estados: Dimite Carlos Lomelí como superdelegado de Jalisco

African Union mediator Mohamed Hassan Lebatt had said on Thursday the council and the FFC would meet on Saturday to study and ratify a constitutional declaration. The two sides held intense discussions through the night into the early hours of Friday and later agreed to continue on Saturday, mediators told reporters.

Labat, the AU envoy, and Mahmoud Dirir, Ethiopia's envoy, met with the military council.

The announcement came as the generals and protest leaders went through the details of the agreement at a luxury hotel in the capital, Khartoum.

The signing ceremony was expected to take place earlier this week, but several delays were announced, raising suspicions the two parties might still be divided over the agreement's details. On Sunday, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, Sudan's top general, said the military council that assumed power after al-Bashir's overthrow would be dissolved with the implementation of the power-sharing deal.

The power-sharing arrangement is to include a joint sovereign council of five civilians representing the protest movement and five military members.

They also agreed on an independent Sudanese investigation into the deadly crackdown by security forces on the protests last month, though it's unclear if anyone will be held accountable.

Magdy reported from Cairo.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO