Melbourne Bourke Street attack: Police confirm terror motive for knife attack

Evarado Alatorre
Noviembre 9, 2018

Victoria Police confirmed they were not looking for any further suspects, and said there were no known links to terrorism at this stage of investigations.

"People who'd seen it had told me they heard shots being fired, and everyone heard an explosion that was like the petrol exploding".

The attacker has since died from his gun wound while under police guard in hospital. The militant group said in a statement released through its Aamaq media arm that the man was "one of Islamic State fighters" and carried out the attack in response to IS calls for attacks in countries that are part of the worldwide coalition fighting the militants in Syria and Iraq. One of the victims also died and the two others were admitted to hospital.

Police say it is yet to be determined if the incident is terror-related.

Police said officers "initially responded to a report of a vehicle on fire" in the city centre at 4:20 pm local time, but discovered at the scene that members of the public had been stabbed.

But as the attacks continued unabated, before one officer opted for lethal force, shooting the suspect in the chest.

He then started attacking people with a knife, stabbing two people, before he was shot by police.

More news: Ex-Filipino First Lady Imelda Marcos faces years behind bars

Video filmed from inside a nearby building shows the attacker going after two officers police officers in high-visibility clothing and trying to stab them.

Images from the scene show a large white sheet covering a section of the road near what appears to be blood.

Police work at the crime scene following a stabbing incident in Melbourne. The man follows with the trolley and pushes it towards the attacker again, as a police officer opens fire.

Officers were initially called to reports of a vehicle fire near Bourke Street, a busy thoroughfare, at about 16:20 local time (05:20 GMT).

"And then I heard one loud bang".

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews led the online praise of the officers and the passers-by who "came to the aid of complete strangers".

Warning sirens sounded after the attack and police sealed off the downtown area, usually busy with shoppers and diners on a Friday evening.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo