England star George Burgess charged over gouging allegation

Jose Verdugo
Noviembre 9, 2018

Burgess was also fined £500 (NZ$972) after a three-man worldwide disciplinary panel - including one representative each from England and New Zealand - assessed the incident.

England and South Sydney forward George Burgess has defended himself on social media after being hit with a four-match suspension for eye gouging New Zealand captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak last weekend.

The incident happened during England's 20-14 win over New Zealand in the second Test at Anfield.

England star George Burgess has issued an apology, via his twitter account, to anyone who "thinks bad of me" after he was banned for 4 matches for a Grade D behaviour contrary to the spirit of the game charge following an alleged 'eye gouging ' incident in the 2nd half of Sunday's global against the Kiwis.

Burgess will miss miss Sunday's third Test against the Kiwis before serving his NRL ban.

The incident went unpunished on the field but the Match Review Panel, appointed by the Rugby Football League, deemed it worthy of a charge that carries a suspension of between three and five matches.

More news: Estos son los artistas que cantarán en los Latin Grammy

England's win in Liverpool means they have already secured the three-match series with one game to play.

Burgess had earlier tweeted accepting the 4 match ban but saying he would never accept he would eye gouge intentionally, as he had too much respect for the players he plays against and with.

"I'm sure he didn't do it on goal", New Zealand captain Watene-Zelezniak said. Whatever he gave me it helped a lot.

However, the Penrith star brushed it off and said he was sure that Burgess' act wasn't intentional. I think his whole hand would probably cover my whole face.

"I'm sure he didn't do it on objective".

"I'm pretty sweet now".

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO