Man Who Fell Into Coma After Eating Slug Dies

Maricruz Casares
Noviembre 5, 2018

Sam, who was once a promising rugby player, spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair, continuing to suffer seizures and the split-second "prank" left him quadriplegic.

Eight years after falling ill it was announced that Sam passed away on Friday, November 2.

He was anxious it might've been a symptom of eating the slug, but his mother told him not to worry: "No-one gets sick from that", she said.

Then a slug crawled across the concrete patio and Sam's friends dared him to eat it.

He fell into a coma for 420 days and when he woke had an acquired brain injury.

"The conversation came up, 'Should I eat it?'".

One of Sam's friends, Jimmy Galvin, who was present at the party, described the event as a "red wine appreciation night".

Australian newsreader Lisa Wilkinson, working for Network 10, broke the news on Sunday, saying: "We have some sad news for you now". Bang. That's how it happened'.

He was later diagnosed with eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis contracted from rat lungworm which is usually found in rodents by snails and slugs can also be infected when they eat rat faeces.

More news: Mac Miller's Cause of Death Revealed To Be Fentanyl and Cocaine

He said: 'When I walked in, he was very very gaunt, and there were cables everywhere - it was a big shock'.

When he was released from hospital, three years after being admitted, his friends rallied around him and tried to raise as much money as possible to help with the medical bills, but sadly it was never enough.

Most people will develop no symptoms at all from ingesting the parasite and will fully recover without treatment.

He later added: "We like to sit down and watch the footy and watch the rugby".

"It devastated and changed his life forever, changed my life forever".

Katie applied to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in 2016 and Sam was granted a AUD $492,000 package.

In 2011, Katie shared a post on Facebook, maintaining hope that her "rough-and-tumble Sam" would recover. "It's huge. The impact is huge".

The massive funding cut was without explanation and around-the-clock care means the Ballard family are heavily in debt and now owe a nursing service £25,000.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo