Istanbul police search Saudi consul's residence in Khashoggi probe

Galtero Lara
Octubre 18, 2018

Trump, who threatened punishment for Saudi Arabia when Khashoggi's disappearance first came to light two weeks ago, has repeatedly noted Saudi leaders' denials since then and insisted the US must know the facts before taking action.

A Turkish daily reported on Thursday that one of the suspects involved in the disappearance of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed in a "suspicious auto accident" in Riyadh.

In a sorrowful note atop the column, Khashoggi's editor explained why the Post chose to publish the column Wednesday, almost three weeks after his disappearance.

"I will be forever grateful he chose The Post as his final journalistic home one year ago and gave us the chance to work together", she wrote.

Attiah added, "This is the last piece of his I will edit for The Post".

On Wednesday and Thursday, Turkish investigators spent nearly nine hours searching the Saudi consul's residence, before moving on to the consulate itself about 200m away, according to Reuters news agency.

Khashoggi entered the Saudi mission to obtain the required paperwork for marrying his fiancée, who claims she waited outside the consulate for 11 hours but did not see him come out.

He has not been seen since, and Turkish officials say they have evidence that he was killed and dismembered by Saudi agents. The Washington Post reported that Turkey had informed USA officials about audio and video recordings suggesting that the journalist had been murdered in the Saudi Consulate.

The letter cited decades of business deals and asked Trump to provide information regarding recent and future financial ties to Saudi Arabia.

More news: Trump calls Federal Reserve his 'biggest threat'

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said earlier that Turkish officials hoped to enter the consulate on Wednesday. "We just need to simply say what happened".

After Axios' report surfaced, Pompeo commented on Thursday, saying he has advised President Trump to give Saudi Arabia "a few more days" to wrap up the probebefore deciding on an response.

President Donald Trump ordered Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to investigate Khashoggi's disappearance, but he seemed to side with Saudi Arabia's crown prince, who has denied responsibility.

Mr Trump has previously vowed to inflict "severe punishment" on Saudi Arabia if it was behind Mr Khashoggi's killing - but also said he is against cancelling military contracts with Riyadh. He was allegedly killed during an interrogation inside the consulate, media outlets have reported.

Pompeo also reportedly warned the crown prince that the timeline for dealing with the scandal is "limited" due to increasing global outrage.

A group of crime scene investigators investigating the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi left the Saudi consul general's residence in Istanbul after examining the premises on Wednesday, live footage from the scene showed.

A joint-probe into the case by Saudi Arabia and Turkey is ongoing.

On Tuesday, a high-level Turkish official told the AP that police found "certain evidence" of Khashoggi's slaying at the consulate, without elaborating.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO