1300+ Hondurans Begin Organized Trek to U.S. Border

Galtero Lara
Octubre 16, 2018

More than 1,000 people, including families and women carrying babies, set off on Saturday from Honduras towards the United States in a mass migration march.

This week's venture comes after US Vice President Mike Pence promised US backing to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador on Thursday in return for their help with curbing migration and gang violence.

According to Reuters, more than 64 percent of Hondurans live in poverty and San Pedro Sula, one of the country's main transportation hubs, has one of the highest murder rates in the world.

Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez lamented that the USA had been cutting its funding, and voiced concerns over the reunification of migrant families illegally crossing the American border. "Pence also called on the Central American leaders to warn their citizens against trying to cross the US border", writes the Daily Caller. About 65 percent of Honduras' people are poor and many get by on the equivalent of a dollar or two a day.

The group was organized using social media, according to Reuters, which quoted Bartolo Fuentes, the alleged organizer, who said those in the march will request refugee status once they reach Mexico or a pass to allow them to continue north to the USA border. Trucks with empty cargo holds have stopped intermittently to pick some up and get them as far along as possible.

More news: "Necesito mi droga de cada fin de semana" — Wenger quiere volver

Hondurans, fleeing poverty and violence, are seen here in San Pedro Sula.

Castro said he grabbed a change of clothes - a T-shirt and trousers - and joined the group Friday after not hearing for days from the mother of his two young children.

"It hurts", he said between tears, "because one just wants an opportunity".

Once in Mexico, the migrants plan to seek asylum to remain in the country or request a visa to cross the USA border.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO