Casey Affleck Apologizes For 'Unprofessional' Behavior After Me Too Backlash

Esequiel Farfan
Agosto 10, 2018

In this August 3, 2018 photo, actor Casey Affleck poses for a portrait at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles to promote his upcoming film "The Old Man & The Gun", in theaters on September 28.

Affleck won his Oscar in 2017 for Manchester by the Sea and dealt with the resurfacing of his alleged sexual misconduct while on the campaign trail.

Casey Affleck is apologizing for his "unprofessional" actions following sexual harassment allegations waged against him in 2010.

'The cast was the crew and the crew was kind of the cast and it was an unprofessional environment and, you know, the buck had to stop with me being one of the producers and I have to accept responsibility for that and that was a mistake, ' he said. "I had never had any complaints like that made about me before in my life and it was really embarrassing and I didn't know how to handle it and I didn't agree with everything, the way I was being described, and the things that were said about me, but I wanted to try to make it right, so we made it right in the way that was asked at the time", he continued. "I tolerated that kind of behavior from other people and I wish that I hadn't". He also said that everyone on both sides of the suit "are prohibited from commenting on the matter", a common stipulation in court settlements like the one Affleck and the plaintiffs reached, "and none of the people who are condemning him online know what happened". But this is the first time he's spoken about this since the #MeToo movement broke and he does actually seem to have gained some insight.

In that time, Affleck also opted out of presenting the best actress award at the Oscars - traditionally the responsibility of the previous year's best actor victor.

You also earlier this year made the decision to step away from presenting the best actress award at the Oscars.

More news: Lopetegui eligió a su dupla de preferidos en el Real Madrid

'I think it was the right thing to do just given everything that was going on in our culture at the moment. and having two incredible women go present the best actress award felt like the right thing, ' the actor added.

And once I did that I discovered there was a lot to learn. "And I know just enough to know that in general I need to keep my mouth shut and listen and try to figure out what's going on and be a supporter and a follower in the little, teeny tiny ways that I can".

According to the actor, Affleck says he didn't think of himself as "the boss" while making I'm Still Here, an attitude he seemingly blames for the unclear boundaries that, as director and producer, he was ultimately responsible for setting.

Affleck says he now wants to pass down what he's learned from the movements to his sons with ex-wife Summer Phoenix, 14-year-old IN and 10-year-old Atticus.

Affleck praised women within the industry for speaking out against harassment, telling the AP, "Those are the people who are kind of leading this conversation and should be leading the conversation". "I have two boys so I want to be in a world where grown men model compassion and decency and also contrition when it's called for, and I certainly tell them to own their mistakes when they make them".

Over the past year, Affleck has been spending time with his kids and girlfriend, and hard at work on various projects, including "The Old Man & The Gun", a kindhearted film where he plays a cop trying to track down an older bank robber, played by Robert Redford. The film will premiere next month at the Toronto International Film Festival. Once again, Affleck seems to say a lot without really saying anything at all. "It's such a nice experience to watch one of his movies".

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO