Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days

Evarado Alatorre
Julio 12, 2018

Rescue workers in Thailand on Monday brought four boys safely out of a labyrinthine flooded cave complex where a 12-member soccer squad and their coach were trapped for more than two weeks, taking the total number rescued to eight.

Four more boys have been brought out of a flooded cave in northern Thailand as the ongoing rescue operation concludes for the second day, Thai officials said. The rescued boys are still being held in quarantine for testing and have not been able to have direct contact with their parents yet.

"We expect that if there is no unusual condition. the 4 boys, 1 coach, the doctor, and 3 SEALs who have been with the boys since the first day will will come out today", he told a press conference to loud cheering.

After pondering for days how to get the 13 out, a rescue operation was launched on Sunday when four of the boys were brought out, tethered to rescue divers.

Rescue commander Narongsak Osotanakorn had stated his hope that Tuesday's mission to extract the final group of children and their team coach would be quicker than the two previous days, with confirmation of the rescue coming just before 7pm local time in Thailand.

"Any way we can help involve them in their own rescue is beneficial", he said.

"The prime minister said that this kind of event should never happen again on Thai soil", Narongsak told reporters. Four of them were rescued from the flooded Tham Luang cave on Sunday and the other four on Monday.

They were "safe and conscious" in hospital after they were removed by divers from the Tham Luang caves in Chiang Rai province.

More news: Localizan a dos personas reportadas desaparecidas tras erupción

Officials scotched any chance of using tech billionaire Elon Musk's mini sub made of rocket parts to rescue the remaining boys.

Dr Jesada said that when the first four arrived they went through all the necessary health checks including blood tests, lung X-rays, heart, eye and mental tests.

The optimistic mood was in contrast to the saddened atmosphere at the cave last week, after former Thai Navy SEAL Saman Kunan, 37, died while laying air tanks underground on Thursday.

Twelve boys, ages 11-17, and their 25-year-old coach hiked more than 2 miles into the labyrinth June 23, prompting a desperate search.

Some family members have been allowed to visit the boys in hospital, but are only allowed to observe them from behind a glass window.

"But when I saw that he was alive and breathing, it felt very good".

Indeed, news of the boys' plight reached all corners of the globe, with Federation Internationale de Football Association chief Gianni Infantino having pledged to invite the Wild Boar Academy to the World Cup final if they are deemed well enough to make the trip.

Doctors were being cautious because of the infection risk and were isolating the boys in the hospital.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO