Oscar De La Hoya Confirms Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin Fight Rematch

Jose Verdugo
Junio 14, 2018

Unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez have worked out a "Hail Mary" deal for a rematch on September 15, 2018 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, ESPN reports.

"I'm happy to inform that we have a fight September 15!"

With Alvarez officially withdrawing from the match in April, Golovkin went on to face Vanes Martirosyan in the scheduled May 5 bout instead, finishing with a second-round knockout.

The Los Angeles Times' Lance Pugmire reported Wednesday that Golovkin wasn't budging from his demand to receive 45 percent of the fight purse, up slightly than the 42.5 percent cut proposed by Golden Boy Promotions.

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez
GETTY Gennady Golovkin and Saul'Canelo Alvarez ended in a controversial draw last year

Tom Loeffler, Golovkin's promoter, gave credit to Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions, which manages Alvarez, for coming up with a compromise.

"He came back with a solution that satisfied both sides", Loeffler said.

ESPN's Dan Rafael noted Alvarez earned 70 percent of the purse from the first fight against Golovkin and that Golovkin's share would've risen to 35 percent in May.

Golovkin (38-0-1-KO34) and Alvarez (49-1-2-KO34) produced a controversial draw in their first meeting on September 16, with many favouring the work of the undefeated Kazakh.

More news: Anthony Martial wants to leave Manchester United says agent

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO