Saudi Arabia shoots down Yemen rebel missile: state media

Maricruz Casares
Abril 24, 2018

The United States, the main supporter of the Saudi-led coalition fighting Iranian-allied Shiite Houthis in Yemen, admitted losing its fighter aircraft.

The coalition said another missile crashed in a Saudi desert on Sunday, without specifying a location, adding it caused no damage.

It was the latest in a series of such attacks.

The Huthis, in a statement on their news outlet Al-Masirah, claimed that they fired a "Badr 1" ballistic missile and said it struck Jizan Regional Airport.

Colonel Turki Al Malki, the spokesman for the Arab Coalition Forces, said in a statement that at 16:24, the Saudi Air Defence System monitored the missile which was launched in the direction of civil and populated areas.

More news: Body of missing Scotsman found in Hamburg

Scores of Houthi field commanders have been killed in Yemen as the Arab Coalition's support of military efforts to restore the internationally recognised government are boosted by the growing number of recruits joining the fight against the Iran-backed rebels. The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a "painful" response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

The missile was launched from Saada, the Houthi stronghold in northern Yemen, the coalition was cited as saying.

"Al-Qubari had been working with Yemeni Republican Guard forces loyal to the late President Ali Abdullah Saleh", the military source, preferring anonymity for security reasons, told Anadolu Agency.

The source went on to note that both al-Qubari and Saleh - the latter of whom was killed late past year near Sanaa - hailed from the village of Sinhan on the capital's southeastern outskirts.

The stalemated war has rendered Yemen the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Otros informes por

Discuta este artículo

SIGUE NUESTRO PERIÓDICO